in Richmond, VA
in Richmond, VA
Tooth enamel is dissolved and replaced constantly in the mouth, and fluoride makes that replacement material much stronger.
Help Prevent Cavities with Fluoride Treatments
Research indicates fluoride can help prevent cavities by:
- Making the tooth enamel stronger to protect against acids in the mouth formed by bacteria and sugar; and
- Helping reduce the amount of bacteria that stays on the tooth surface.
Water fluoridation is a common practice in U.S. public water systems. Yet, bottled water, home treatment systems, and private well water may not be fluoridated. The use of fluoride toothpaste and mouthwashes and a diet that includes foods with natural fluoride may be sufficient.
However, children under 6 with any history of decay and older children with a few cavities and other risk factors are at moderate to high risk for decay and may benefit from professional fluoride applications. Our Bitty Bites Pediatric Dentistry will evaluate your child’s dental health and offer fluoride treatments in our office if needed.
Per the guidelines of the AAPD and the AAP:
- Fluoridated toothpaste is recommended for all children starting at tooth eruption, regardless of caries risk.
- A smear (the size of a grain of rice) of toothpaste should be used up to age 3. After the 3rd birthday, a pea-sized amount may be used. Parents should dispense toothpaste for young children and supervise and assist with brushing.
- Fluoride varnish is recommended in the primary care setting every 3–6 months starting at tooth emergence.
- An over-the-counter fluoride rinse is not recommended for children younger than 6 years due to risk of swallowing higher-than-recommended levels of fluoride.
Request Your Appointment Today!
At Bitty Bites Pediatric Dentistry, we make it convenient to plan your visit. Click the link to request an appointment time that fits your busy schedule. We can't wait to see you!